Penn Ave West builds on the Golden Triangle BID’s 2015 West of the White House study and DDOT’s Downtown West Transportation Planning 2017 study, and an array of previous planning efforts by DDOT and other agencies. Throughout these previous studies, DDOT sought to reach a diverse range of people who use Penn Ave West, including agency partners. These studies have helped develop a vision for the future of the corridor while also outlining key policy priorities and strategies to meet the project’s goals and objectives.
With input from stakeholder groups like the Department of Energy and Environment (DOEE), National Capital Planning Commission (NCPC), State Historic Preservation Officer (SHPO), National Park Service (NPS), Commission of Fine Arts (CFA), and Golden Triangle Business Improvement District (BID), and the public, the project will turn the Penn Ave West corridor into a destination that amplifies its important role as a connector and iconic destination in the District.
DDOT recently completed the 65% design plans for Penn Ave West. Comments are now being accepted on this design phase as the design moves towards Final Design.
Reports and Studies
- moveDC: The District of Columbia’s Multimodal Long-Range Transportation Plan (DDOT, 2014)
- H/I Streets Bus Improvements: Final Technical Report (Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, 2013)
- Pennsylvania Avenue: West of the White House (Golden Triangle BID, 2015)
- Sustainable DC (DOEE and the Office of Planning, 2016)
- Downtown West Transportation Planning Study (DDOT, 2017)